Monday 24 February 2014

Blog Neglect

I have been neglecting this space!  I attempted to write a "1 year" post, that being 1 year after M's surgery date, but it was hard to write.  I've had a partially completed post waiting to be written, and just felt I couldn't write another post if I didn't write that year post.  So for whatever reason, it's hard to write, it's hard to sum up a year of appointments, feelings, and events.  So I give up!  And I'll just move on!

M's congenital cataract surgery was November 23, 2012 and I think I may remember that date for the rest of my life.

I find it kind of sad to look back at how much we struggled just after surgery, how when we first were able to get a contact in and patch her, she was essentially blind and couldn't be put down or left alone.

I look back a year ago, and we have learned so much, dealt with so much, and persevered so much.  There have been ups and downs in the process following her surgery, but considering everything, she has been remarkably good with her patching.

M has been seeing her optometrist and surgeon every 5-6 weeks, and her next appointment is this Friday.

5 comments:

  1. Susan,
    I can't imagine what it will feel like to sum up 1 yr of this life. I am just starting on my journey. Cohen and I are just starting our 3rd month of contact and patching. Reading your blog as well as other moms' blogs has been so helpful for new familes going through this journey. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Another iMom! I checked out your space too... It is comforting to know there are other people out there experiencing similar things. Thanks for getting in touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,
      Thanks for checking out my site. I am very new to blogging, in fact, ive never done it. I am just feeling like I am not getting very much info from our dr's on what i should be doing or not doing for coco. Someone suggested that I look for imoms to learn from. So that's where I am now. Consumed with reading other moms' journeys and advice. I am very thankful that people like you are sharing your story. It is so helpful to moms like me!

      Delete
  3. I'd just like to say... "keep up the amazing work!!"

    I'd like to say what your daughter will say in 20 years, "thank you for making all of these sacrifices!. the patching, the searching for lost contacts (the cost 180 bucks!), it's not going unnoticed.

    I'm not a mom or a dad.
    My name is Sarah and I'm 22 years old. I, too, was born with unilateral cataract in my right eye. The cataract was extremely dense and luckily they caught it at 6 weeks old, but they said that if it had been delayed a few more weeks, I would have been completely blind in my right eye. My parents battled with patching my entire childhood, so I also sported those awesome arm immobilizers.
    Having only one good eye never stopped me from doing the important stuff. I played soccer and softball. I developed depth perception in my own way and somehow was one of the best hitters in the entire county.
    I just wanted to write a quick comment to let you know that all your hard work will pay off in 20 years. I’m currently looking for a surgeon that will do an IOL implant for me. They say I have the possibility of having corrected vision to 20/30 in my right eye! Every doctor is amazed by how well I can see and they always say that it must be because of how much my parents patched my eye.

    Keep up the hard work, she’ll thank you later!..

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a nice post! I always try to remember that 'in the long run' things will be better for my little one because we patch all we can. I want to make sure when the day comes that we get her visual outcome and we stop or ease off on patching that we as her parents can say - she has the best possible outcome because we couldn't have patched her anymore. I want to get to the end of this patching time and have no regrets!
    Thanks for sharing your story. Gives us a glimpse into a possible future for our little one.

    ReplyDelete