Wednesday 20 February 2013

Learn what you Live!

After we put in M's contact in the morning she usually gets to hold the contact case as a reward.


These days we still have the two of us helping to get her contact in; my husband kind of pins her down and opens her eye while I get the contact ready and put it in her eye.  She used to scream during this process, but for the last couple of weeks she has come to realize it's a part of her morning routine.  She rarely cries now, and almost never struggles.

Throughout the day, depending on how the day is going, different toys are introduced to her to distract her from trying to pull off her patch or just keep her occupied when she is getting restless.  One of these toys is the contact solution bottle.

I'm sure it's not a recommended toy for a 1 year old - I know!

The other day she happened to have both her contact case and her contact solution bottle at the same time and was demonstrating how to use the two in combination.  She repeatedly got her solution bottle facing the right direction and put it to her contact case, just as we would when we fill the case with solution.  I had no idea she was watching us do this, or that she would try to copy us, if given the opportunity!


She's almost 1 years old, and has been now exposed to contacts, solutions, and patches for almost 2.5 months now.  It's amazing the change that has happened in only these 2.5 months.  No more screaming when we try to get the contact in her eye, only rare attempts to rip off her patches currently, and she could now attempt to fill her own contact case with solution!

Another two huge changes: she will come to you and sit on your lap and be super still when you tell her it's time take her patch off, and she will now sit and let you put her patch on in the morning when you tell her it's patch time.  These changes in the past 2.5 months, that have gotten us from where we started to where we are now, have made everything and everyone in our house better.

It has come to amaze me how these things have just become a part of her life and our family's lives.  It is beginning to feel like 'normal', even though I know when I take her out and about in our community, people don't think we're very 'normal' looking at all!

1 comment:

  1. Susan,
    This post was so uplifting. I am just starting this journey with my daughter Cohen. I have found that other mom's are really the best source of info, encouragement, and strength! Thanks for sharing. I just set my blog up also, its called livingwithblindfaith.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete