Wednesday 3 April 2013

Napping with a Patch

I finally got around to it: my newest nap invention for M!

I'm hoping this combination of shirt and added fabric will work better as the weather is getting warmer.  Plus, there won't be the need for the mittens underneath the diaper shirt which will make getting ready for naps a little less of an ordeal.  This shirt is not sewn at the end of the sleeves.  I instead just sewed a circular tube out of some thicker fabric, and then attached that tube to her shirt sleeve.


The first thing I needed was fabric to attach to the end of the long sleeved shirt.  I cut out two rectangular shaped pieces of fabric and folded them over ready to sew.


I sewed around 3 edges of these pieces of fabric, leaving the 1 edge open creating a kind of pocket.


The next step was the slip this piece of pocketed fabric over the bottom part of the shirt sleeve.  This way hands can come out of the shirt like normal, but can't rip off any patches because the hand is inside this fabric pocket attached to the end.


I hand sewed the fabric pieces on the bottom of the shirt.

The idea was that the thicker fabric addition will make it harder for her to pinch through the fabric to rip her patch off, and give her hands and arms some more mobility and air.

So far, fingers crossed, this has been working really well.  I would imagine it is more comfortable for her to nap in then the mittens and it seems to give her more ability to move, without the ability to pinch her fingers and get to her patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment